Saturday, July 13, 2013

Sofa Table DIY

I teach in a school district that has several week-long breaks throughout the year.  These are really helpful for getting things done around the house (when I don't have stacks of papers to grade).

During our February break (the week of President's Day) I was sick and lazy.  The weather was yuck, I was fighting off some flu-like-thing, and I had zero motivation to do anything at all.  During spring break however...  WOW-WEE!  I was very motivated!  I spent one morning at Home Depot getting flowers for our mailbox.


Pretty!!

After I tackled that beast (and acquired a strange sunburn) I went to Pinterest... And THANK YOU PINTEREST!

Pinterest is sometimes the place where I pin things and secretly think to myself "HAH, I will absolutely never do that!"  But this Pinterest find was different. Thrifty Decor Chick posted this blog and taught us how to create a sofa table.  She made it so easy!  Here's how I used her directions to create my own:

I bought wood that's about 1/2 inch thick and about 8 inches wide.


This is how long I wanted to sofa table to be
 
Be safe!  Wear safety glasses and be very very careful!  Saws scare me, even when I'm being safe. 

Then I started cutting the legs.  Measure twice, cut once.
I got two legs out of each length of wood we bought.
My sofa table consisted of 1 long piece that measured 78 inches and 4 shorter leg pieces measuring 30 1/2 inches each.  My sofa is about 29 inches tall and I wanted my sofa table to be a little bit taller than the sofa.  However, if you don't want any of the side to show, you should make it shorter than the sofa.  And keep in mind, the longer your sofa table, the more legs you will need to keep it secure.  I probably could have done 3 legs, since it sticks tight between the sofa and the wall.  However, I gave it 4 legs so it could hold a lot of weight if necessary. 

Attached with corner brackets.  Not the most sturdy when standing alone, but plenty sturdy when placed between the sofa and the wall.


I added extra brackets to increase stability.
I put everything together prior to painting.
It stands!!
On the bottom right, you can see a mini-project I started.  I primed a hanging candle holder.  It's going from black to robin's egg blue.

Primed!

Coat of paint on the hanging candle holder after priming.  I also sanded it a little after it was dry to beat it up a bit.

After priming the candle holder, I also painted my sofa table with a coat of white primer.  The next step was to rub it with this gray stain.

Here is the sofa table with a little bit of the gray stain.
At this point, I took a screwdriver and sanding sponge to it.  I roughed it up a bit.

As you can see in this photo, I did not waste time painting the parts of the table that would be unseen.  Feel free to paint it if you want, but it's really unnecessary.  I've had mine up for 4 months now and I've never been able to see the unfinished parts. 

Sofa before putting in our table.  We had it right up against the wall.

Ready for the table!

Ben helped me with this part.  The table fit perfectly between our window molding.  Careful with your measurements, people!!

Here's what it looked like at first.

After obsessively moving things around for a few hours, I settled on this arrangement.

I absolutely love the finished product!  It only took a weekend from start to finish (most of that time was devoted to drying) and was very affordable.  Now we have extra space for lamps, remotes, charging our phones, vases... whatever!  This project would not have happened without the inspiration and directions from the Thrifty Decor Chick so be sure to check out her site.  You will be amazed by her DIY craftiness! 


1 comment: